Thursday, December 18, 2008

Didn't see this one coming...

So....to add a little bit of holiday cheer to our family...I arrived to my car last night after
tutoring (like I do every Wednesday night) at the public library in Goshen to this. No, you are not seeing ice on my window like James thought (bless his heart) What you are seeing is my ENTIRE back window smashed out. The "ice" you see is all that was left of it. Someone stole the kids' DVD players and dvds. Somehow they missed the Garmin....Jerks...
Maybe a good Samaritan walked by and spotted them...yeah right? Who didn't see this going on? How exactly does someone smash a window and manage to steal everything inside in the parking lot of a busy public library at key hours?
Unbelievable!!! I know it didn't matter to the thief, but it kills me that they stole the kids' dvd players. I mean come on....And that they left glass covering their seats and all of Lauren's toys.
I hid my purse under the seat, but yes, they found that too. Luckily I had my wallet with me because it had my library card in it....but....I had an envelope with my much of my tutoring cash/Christmas money that I have been saving religiously! :( I don't usually keep in in my purse but had it in there while doing someone Christmas shopping. THIS STINKS!!!! My very hard earned money. I was so irate last night you can't even imagine. I'm usually pretty easy going. I think even the librarians were a bit nervous last night... I was a crazy lady....
We are going to have to replace Lauren's car seat because of the amount of glass that is in it. I'm just not sure we can get it all!!!


Lots of shattered glass....as I was driving it home last night....FREEZING because there was no back window and having everyone staring....I had to listen to glass continue to fall and shift around at every bump I hit....terrible reminder all the way home of the reality of wicked people!




Another look at all of the glass.
So as I worked hard tutoring to make money in these difficult times and give back to kids in our community , someone was stealing everything I have worked so hard far. I understand these are tough times for everyone, but come on folks! It just makes me sick. The insurance will cover everything, including the cash, which is great but our deductible is pretty hefty, so we'll still just about break even....NOT a fun price to pay EVER and for sure not the week before Christmas and a few days before Luke's birthday. And yes, I know it could have been worse and property can be replaced...but....guess what....it still stinks! My heart is heavy today. I was hoping to feel better about it all this morning when I woke up, but that hasn't been the case. I am still very angry and emotional. And guess what I get to do this weekend
while fighting the Christmas shopping madness??? Shop for a new car seat, dvd player, dvds, and purse. You may think fun...but for me...not so much!!! Anyway....MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! oh and don't keep ANYTHING OF VALUE VISIBLE IN YOUR VEHICLES!!! The police officer said they've had several of these break ins and again in daylight in the middle of parking lots. We called the pawn shops and reported the dvd players right away but haven't heard anything. Maybe some little kids will get dvd players with Monsters Inc. and Baby da Vinci....sad, sad, sad...if they only knew...
Oh, and James is very distraught and confused as to why anyone would break our window and take his dvd player and his favorite movie, Monsters' Inc. He keeps saying, "Why'd that man DO that?" and "Well, ask him..." Bless his heart. We also had to explain to him that it didn't happen at our house because he was asking a lot about that too. Oh, the joys of life....

5 comments:

Carrie said...

You're right. It totally does stink! I read your facebook status last night and I felt sick for you! So sorry! It definatly does stink, escpecially right before Christmas!!

Elizabeth said...

oh, my goodness!! that is just awful!. really stinks. I am mad just reading your post, I can't imagine your emotions. and you are very justified. with that much of the window blown out, and glass everywhere, I can't imagine, that they knew what they were doing.. so I am really surprised that no one saw them. in a public library parking lot? c'mon. seriously! what next church parking lots on Christmas Eve?
I hope you're able to find replacements easily!

Sheila said...

I"m so sorry to hear that Shelly... I know what you are feeling exactly and will definitely pray for you... that was something that was very hard for me to get past.. I was very upset for a very long time..well we are thinking of you... let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

The Lantzes said...

oh my, I am so sorry!!! Yeah how did they do that in the peak library hours? That makes me feel sick for you!

Linz said...

I just finally got to catch up reading on blogs, came across this one and man I feel horrible for you. Last summer the exact same thing happened to my vehicle...at my own home. You feel so violated and it just makes u sick! And to think these people see car seats and what not all in there too and don't care one bit. I also had a purse that was visible, but I also had my wallet with me in my diaper bag. So I feel your pain, girl! Miss seeing ya!!